Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What's in a birthday

Forty Eight, not the ultimate answer, that's 42 (See Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). No that's the number of my birthday. Today is that day. Good news is both my parents lived longer than 48 and since I've made it now I have to assume I have a few more years.

There was a time when I was truly excited by my birthday. I remember one time watching the Kansas City Royals play baseball in old Municipal Stadium on 22 May and being more thrilled about the fact that my birthday was the next day than the ball game I was watching.

But this birthday is just like any other day, I don't want it to be. In fact I think I'll be upset if no one notices or does anything for my birthday, but in the infinite scheme of things it doesn't really matter, its just another day.

I guess it will hit me in two years when I turn the big 50. Now that one scares me. One half of a century is just unfathomable.

Hopefully I feel like celebrating more when I'm 50.


No comments:

Post a Comment